Sport is an important and enjoyable part of life at Woodlands. As well as providing fresh air and exercise, it encourages team spirit, fair play and leadership.
As part of our curriculum, children are encouraged to take part in 5 hours of sport per week. From Reception, 3-4 hours of this is timetabled; the remaining time is made up through involvement in at least one active club. Healthy competition is fostered through House competitions, Sports days and fixtures with other schools, as well as involvement in District and ISA competitions. We have 8 active club links, which are delivered either by external coaches, or by our own teachers, who promote the participation in many more community pathways.
Encouraging all pupils to participate in activity as part of a healthy lifestyle is at the forefront of our thinking, as are the Olympic legacy values of equality, respect, friendship, excellence, determination, inspiration, courage and equality.
Sporting Achievements and Awards
In 2019 we achieved the School Games' Platinum Sports Mark Award, following six consecutive Gold Award years. Platinum status is achieved by only a handful of schools nationwide who have consistently achieved a Gold Mark in previous years and have shown dedication to sport and activity in their region.
Other recent achievements:
- Hosted ISA Triathlon – 1st Place boy
- XC League – Full Y3 & 4 program – 1st Place girl. 4 children selected for development squad
- ISA Gala Ipswich – [ BOY TO FINALS @ Coventry]
- District XC –First place girls champion, 3rd place boy. Girls 3rd overall Boys 1st.
- SSSP XC – Girl 1st – COUNTY finalist – 4th in final
- Houses completed the Channel Relay Swim Challenge
- Boys and Girls Gym – to Essex finals.
- District Swimming [middle schools] –Boys 1st and girls 2nd
- ISA National XC – Girl to finals 2nd place.
- School record breakers gala –Boy 3 individual & 2 relay New School Records, Girl relay new school record
- ISA Athletics – National Finalist- Girl 1st 600m [3rd], Boy 1st in Shot[1st], Boy1st High Jump[8th]
- District Athletics – Joint 2nd
We make use of our extensive grounds for sporting activities. Facilities include:
- Acres of playing fields and sports pitches
- State of the art 4G football, netball and tennis courts.
- Cycling area for triathlon training
- Cross country track
- Sports hall
- “Trim trail” obstacle course
- Heated indoor swimming pool
Sports on offer
PE classes at Woodlands include the following sports:
Netball, Hockey, Football, Rugby, Cricket, Athletics, Cross-Country, Basketball, Gymnastics, Tennis and Swimming.
Other activities are offered as children progress through the year groups, including Golf, Triathlons and Stubbers' Outdoor Adventures. We also run numerous active clubs in lunchtimes and after school. Find out more in the Extra-Curricular section of this website.
Gifted and Talented in Sports
Children identified as Gifted and Talented in an athletic pursuit, are supported through the Woodlands Athletics Stars Programme (“WASP”s). This ensures their talent is nurtured and developed, and that their full potential can be reached as part of our commitment to achieving the NACE Challenge Award
Encouragement for all
Our ‘Passport to Success’ scheme encourages all children to be active – Children collect 'active stamps' which are in turn rewarded with house points and badges.
A half-term infant and junior sports trophy is awarded for effort.
Other activities are offered as children progress through the year groups, including Golf, Triathlons and Stubbers Outdoor Adventures.