Fundamental British Values
Woodlands School Hutton Manor is committed to developing in all students an appreciation of the Fundamental British Values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty, mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.*
We achieve this daily through the content of the curriculum, extra-curricular activities, assemblies, the School Council, trips, visits and charity fundraising events.
Our framework for understanding British values draws on our core values, which are actively promoted through the day to day life of the school. We appreciate that our community is a diverse one, welcoming students from different cultural and religious backgrounds and we welcome the diversity that all students bring. Diversity within the school community is not simply tolerated but actively celebrated.
By promoting these values, staff and students feel empowered to challenge opinions or behaviours in school which are contrary to fundamental British values. Through the provision of Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural Education (SMSC), Woodlands School Hutton Manor aims to:
- enable pupils to develop their self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence;
- enable pupils to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of England;
- encourage pupils to accept responsibility for their behaviour, show initiative, and to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to society more widely;
- enable pupils to acquire a broad general knowledge of and respect for public institutions and services in England;
- further tolerance and harmony between different cultural traditions by enabling pupils to acquire an appreciation of and respect for their own and other cultures;
- encourage respect for other people; and
- encourage respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic processes, including respect for the basis on which the law is made and applied in England.
*as taken and adapted from ‘Promoting fundamental British values as part of SMSC in schools’ – DfE Nov 2014
In line with the guidance provided by the Department of Education, Woodlands School Hutton Manor supports the requirements of section 78 of the Education Act 2002, in the provision of SMSC.
Find out more about specific key areas of our curriculum using the links below: